Protection Status
Hong Kong protest march descends into violence
Bricks littered some of the streets after the protests
DAILYNEWS It was introduced by chief executive Carrie Lam who invoked powers dating back to colonial rule by the British.
Sunday's protests were fuelled by both the mask ban and the use by police of live bullets against protesters, which left two people injured this week.
A wave of rioting in Friday led city metro services to shut down but they had partially resumed on Sunday.
Demonstrators fear that democratic rights are being eroded in the semi-autonomous territory under Chinese rule.

What happened on Sunday?

The protesters' aim was to make clear their utter contempt for the emergency law banning face masks and almost all covered their faces, the BBC's Robin Brant reports from Hong Kong.
Police watched as protesters moved peacefully, chanting "Hong Kong resist" as they walked through the heart of the city, but after a few hours officers moved to end the disruption.
Protesters wearing Guy Fawkes masks take part in an Anti-ERO (Emergency Regulations Ordinance) demonstration against a newly imposed law banning face masks in public in Hong Kong, China, 06 October 2019Image copyrightEPA
Image captionMany protesters wore Guy Fawkes masks
Tear gas canisters were fired on the crowd from police on walkway bridges above. Video shows small groups being targeted by charging officers on the ground.
Many shops were again closing early on Sunday evening in anticipation of more trouble, our correspondent says.
Presentational white space
Among incidents on Sunday:
  • An entrance to the Mong Kok metro station was attacked with signs and windows smashed, and a lift set on fire
  • Rioters smashed their way into local government offices in the Cheung Sha Wan area
  • A masked protester briefly hijacked an excavator in an attempt to dig up the road in Wan Chai
  • A driver in his 60s was dragged out of his vehicle in Sham Shui Po and beaten by protesters after reportedly striking a demonstrator
Injured man in Hong Kong, 6 OctoberImage copyrightEPA
Image captionA driver injured by protesters was rescued by firefighters
Many more people turned out for the new marches than on Saturday, when a small march was held in the aftermath of Friday's rioting.
"I'm not sure how many more chances we'll get to fight for freedom," said Hazel Chan, 18, who was wearing a surgical face mask when she spoke to the BBC near a road block on the city's Rodney Street.
"I don't think it'll have a big impact on the government's stance but I hope we gain international attention and show the world we won't get used to this evil law."
Protesters vandalise the Cheung Sha Wan local government offices during a demonstration in Hong Kong on October 6, 2019Image copyrightAFP
Image captionProtesters vandalised the Cheung Sha Wan local government offices
Fellow demonstrator Riley Fung, 19, said: "I don't have much confidence in protests because the government has ignored our demands even when millions came out."
But she continued to protest, she added, in order to express herself.
Related News
Previous Post Next Post