DMCA.com Protection Status
Peace deal announced between Yemeni government, separatists
Breaking News image big main
DAILYNEWS Yemen's internationally recognised government and UAE-backed separatists have signed a power-sharing deal to halt infighting.
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman announced the agreement between the Yemeni government and southern separatists to end a power struggle in the war-torn country's south, Saudi state TV reported on Tuesday.
Prince Mohammed decribed the "Riyadh Agreement" as a crucial step towards a political solution to end Yemen's bloody four-year war.
No details were revealed during the signing ceremony broadcast live on Saudi state televison, but sources said the agreement calls for a government reshuffle to include the separatists.
Their armed forces were placed under government control, sources said. 
In August, the UAE-backed separatist movement, which seeks self-rule in southern Yemen, turned on government troops as its forces seized their interim seat in the city of Aden.
Weeks of bloody infighting stoked fears of a further weakening of the anti-Houthi rebel bloc and undermining chances for finding a negotiated solution to the civil war.
The United Arab Emirates-supported separatist Southern Transitional Council (STC) and Yemen President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi's Saudi-backed government had earlier agreed to an initial deal designed to end the infighting.
The STC is a Yemeni group that joined the Saudi-led military alliance, which first intervened in Yemen in March 2015  to restore Hadi's government shortly after it was removed from the capital, Sanaa, by the Houthi rebels.
Riyadh has sought to refocus the Saudi-Emirati-led coalition on fighting the Houthis on its border, after the rebels repeatedly launched missiles and drone attacks on Saudi cities in recent years.
The kingdom has in recent weeks increased its military presence in southern Yemen, bringing in additional troops, armoured vehicles, tanks and other military equipment.
It took control of Aden earlier this month after the UAE withdrew some of its forces from the city.
Related News
Previous Post Next Post